JOIN OUR LECTURER POOL!
San Francisco State University, American Indian Studies (AIS) Department seeks applicants for their Lecturer Pool. Applications for Lecturer positions will be accepted on an ongoing basis. A Ph.D., M.A. or equivalent degree in American Indian Studies or relevant discipline is required. Salary commensurate with qualifications. Course in the following areas are being considered for Fall 2019:
1. AIS 205: American Indians and U.S. Laws
2. AIS 235: American Indian Images and Issues in Mass Media
3. AIS 410: Perspectives of Native California Indians
4. AIS 535: American Indian Film
Send letter of interest, CV, and contact information of three references (Note: Letters of recommendation upon request.) to ATTN: Joanne Barker, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, American Indian Studies Department at email@example.com or College of Ethnic Studies, 1600 Holloway Avenue, EP 103, San Francisco, CA 94132. The vita should include educational background and any relevant prior teaching experience.
Important Dates for Summer 2019
· June 10, 2019: First Day of Instruction/ Add Classes requires a Permission Number (R1/R4)
· June 20, 2019: Last Day for Faculty to Drop Students (R1/R4)
· June 21, 2019: Last Day to Drop/Withdraw Classes without a Grade of W (R1/R4)
· June 21, 2019: Last Day to Add Classes with Permission Number (R1/R4)
· June 22, 2019: Last Day to Withdraw for Documented and Compelling Reasons Ends
· June 24, 2019: First Day of Instruction (R2)
· June 24, 2019: Last Day to Add Classes with Permission Number (R2)
· July 7, 2019: Last Day for Faculty to Drop Students (R2)
· July 8, 2019: Last Day to Drop/Withdraw Classes without a Grade of W (R2)
· July 8, 2019: Last Day to Withdraw for Documented and Compelling Reasons Ends
· July 12, 2019: Last Day of Instruction (R1)
· July 15, 2019: First Day of Instruction (R3)
· July 25, 2019: Last Day for Faculty to Drop Students (R3)
· July 26, 2019: Last Day to Drop/Withdraw Classes without a Grade of W (R3)
· June 26, 2019: Last Day to Add Classes with Permission Number (R3)
· August 9, 2019: Last Day to Withdraw for Documented and Compelling Reasons Ends
· August 16, 2019: Last Day of Instruction (R2,R3, R4)
* Please complete your graduation application and begin the process of advising and obtaining signatures at least ONE month prior to the deadline. (Summer graduation applications due July 12, 2019.
* Please use the following to search for American Indian Studies classes for the current semester: https://webapps.sfsu.edu/public/classservices/classsearch
* More dates and deadlines can be found in the Academic Calendar using the following link:
20 Best Deal for Colleges on Native American Studies
#2 - San Francisco State University
San Francisco, California
"B.A. Created in American Indian Studies"
by Katrina Van Loan, Staff Writer
AIS Major Approved
The proposal was approved unanimously by the Academic Senate in December 2006 and has been approved by the CSU Board of Trustees as part of SFSU's Master Plan in March 2007. It is now being edited in preparation for a review by CPEC.
To see a copy of the proposal, click here.
Honoring The Past
Richard Oakes (Mohawk)-AIS
Founder and Indian Activist
-About the Richard Oakes Memorial Center at SFSU
-History of American Indians in California
-Alcatraz Is Not An Island
-The American Indian Occupation of Alcatraz Island, 1969-1971- Photo Collection
Wilma Mankiller (Cherokee) - SFSU Alumnus
Mankiller: A Chief and Her People
By Michael Wallis and Wilma Mankiller
(Griffin Trade Paperback, 1999)
Deron Marquez (San Manuel Band of Mission Indians)- Tribal Chairman and SFSU Alumnus
San Manuel Band of Mission Indians